Personal information is information about an identifiable individual, but does not include the name, title or business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization.
As of January 1, 2004, all Canadian organizations engaged in commercial activities must comply with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA") and the Canadian Standards Association Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information incorporated by reference into PIPEDA.
Personal Information at B A Consulting Group Limited
In providing our professional services, we often collect and use personal information. As well, we send to individuals information and marketing materials concerning developments in an area of expertise and its services.
Collecting Personal Information
We collect personal information fairly and in accordance with the law. Generally, we collect your personal information directly from you. Such collection may be done at the start of our relationship or during the course of our working for you. Sometimes we may obtain information about you from other sources including, for example:
- from a government agency or registry;
- other professionals who serve you, such as your accountant; and
- other parties or participants in projects in which you are involved.
In most cases, if we collect, use, or disclose your personal information, we will obtain your consent. Sometimes we will ask for your consent in writing, but in some cases, we may accept your oral consent. Sometimes your consent may be implied through your conduct with us or the nature of our retainer.
Use of Personal Information
We use your personal information to provide professional engineering advice and services to you, to administer our client (time and billing) databases, to build and to maintain the firm’s expertise and knowledge, and to include you in our information distribution and marketing activities. If you tell us that you no longer wish to receive information about development in our areas of expertise or our services, you can ask us not to send any further material.
- when you have consented to the disclosure;
- when we are required or authorized by law to do so, including, for example, if a court issues a warrant or a subpoena;
- in order to comply with the requirements of the regulatory bodies that governs engineers in Ontario;
- when the services we are providing to you require us to give your information to third parties your consent will be implied, unless you tell us otherwise;
- where it is necessary to collect fees or disbursements;
- if we engage a third party to provide administrative services to us (like computer back-up services, archival file storage, or insurance) and the third party is bound by obligations regarding privacy which are consistent with this policy; or
- if we retain another engineering firm (such as, for example, specialty consultants or subcontractors in other jurisdictions) in respect of our engagement by you or otherwise on your behalf.
Updating Your Information
Since we use your personal information to provide engineering services to you, it is important that the information be accurate and up to date. If during the course of the retainer, any of your information changes, please inform us so that we can make any necessary changes. We may also periodically inquire of you whether your personal information is accurate and up to date.
Securing Personal Information
We take precautions to ensure that your personal information is kept safe from loss, unauthorized access, modification or disclosure. Among the steps taken to protect your personal information are:
- premises security;
- confidential policies as part of our professional and legal obligations;
- deploying technical safeguards like security software and firewalls to prevent unauthorized computer access or “hacking”; and
- internal password and security policies.
You should be aware that e-mail is not an entirely secure medium, and you should be aware of this when contacting us to send personal or confidential information.
Accessing Personal Information
You may ask for access to personal information we hold about you.
Your rights to access your personal information are not absolute. There are a number of situations where we may deny access. If we deny your request for access, to or refuse a request to correct personal information, we will provide a reason or reasons for doing so.
To help us make credit decisions about clients, to try to prevent fraud, and to check the identity of new clients, on occasion we may request information about you from the files of consumer reporting services.
Our website contains links to other sites, which are not governed by this Policy.
On our website, like most other commercial websites, we may monitor traffic patterns, site usage and related site information in order to optimize our web service. We may provide aggregated information to third parties, but these statistics do not include any identifiable personal information.
Request for Access
If you have any questions, or wish to access your personal information, please contact the person at B A Consulting Group Limited with whom you normally deal or write to our Privacy Contact at:
45 St. Clair Avenue West, Suite 300
Toronto, ON M4V 1K9
If you are not satisfied with our response, the Privacy Commissioner of Canada can be reached at:
112 Kent Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 1H3